Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Athletic Magazines

Every so often I'm seized with the urge to browse through triathlon/running/climbing/cycling magazines.  It's nice to catch up on the latest gear, as well as to ogle the incredibly fit and attractive models they put in there (especially in the climbing ones).  But every time I do it, I get worked up into an indignant annoyance that invariably leaves me avoiding the magazine rack for months due to the sexism, the creepiness, and my own guilt of these magazines.

Let's tackle the sexism first.  Anyone else noticed that these magazines are invariably placed in close proximity to, if not within, the "Men's Interest" magazines?  Despite the fact that many running and climbing magazines frequently feature women athletes on the cover (cycling not so much, those spandex clad chauvinists), there is the constant implication that these magazines are for men, get back in the kitchen women!  (The knitting, home and garden, gossip, and cooking magazines are almost always placed near the "Women's Interests") Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but there's my take.

As a side effect of being placed right next to the "Men's Interest" magazines, the creepiness factor comes into play.  9 times out of 10, while I'm looking through the latest sports magazine, some guy will wander into the vicinity, only to see me and slink back out.  Like you're fooling anyone.  Both you and I know that what you really want is to "discreetly" jack off to Maxim when you think nobody is watching, and I've just thwarted your plan by being there.

And touching on that, I always feel weird looking at magazines without buying them.  I'd hope the above creepy guys feel weirder "using" the magazines without buying, but I always end up so weirded out by the whole experience that I just end up walking away. 

I kind of feel like yelling out, "It's clear now!" when I leave.  After all, it was never my intention to ruin anyone's good time.

No comments: