Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Old jerk on a bike

Generally cyclists are a friendly bunch (at least to other cyclists - not so much motorists)  Often when I'm changing a flat or just stopping to rest, I'm amazed by how many cyclists are willing to lend out their tubes/air/compressor/help.  (Those things start adding up after a while!)

So on my bike ride this morning, I rode past an old guy standing in the weeds with his road bike.  He seemed to be waiting for something/one, so I called out, "Are you okay?  Do you need anything?"

He slowly turns to face me, then yells out, "None of your God-damned business!"

A little shocked, I muttered an "...okay?" and rode off. 

For the rest of my ride, my thoughts got increasingly angry, culminating in, "I hope he has a heart attack and the next time I ride around I won't offer to help."

But then I realized I probably would stop anyway.  I mean, I'd kind of feel guilty if I ignored someone in need who I later found out died.  But I might passively aggressively make the 911 call with, "Some jackass is having a heart attack.  You should probably help him, but he won't be appreciative."

No comments: