Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Gluten and hypothyroidism

Based on some research I've found, which admittedly seems a bit sensational and dubious, a couple of weeks ago I've decided to try cutting gluten out of my diet.

There have been some studies that show that the autoimmune response to gluten will often trigger an attack against the thyroid, causing one to become hypothyroid.  Since my endocrinologists are insisting that I have Hashimoto's, in theory I have an autoimmune version of hypothyroidism. So I figured what the hell?  How can it hurt?

Since cutting out gluten, my tinnea versicolor that i've been battling for 2 years has almost gone away entirely, and my face has stopped flushing.  I'm hopeful, but I know a variety of factors could be contributing to these changes.  I think the real test will come in a few months when I gorge myself on a delicious loaf of bread to see if symptoms return.

In reality, I should probably ask my doctors to test me for gluten intolerance.  But I'm tired of doctors.  And it seems that often the tests don't catch anything anyway, and the only real way to test is to.....cut gluten out of the diet.  I can do that without a $35 copay, thank you very much.

No comments: